The waiting game is about to be over. I’m still here in Ban Phe, Thailand. I decided to stay for the weekend and not move around too much because it’s easier to not spend much money that way. If I was in a bigger city the baht flow a lot faster. I have a beautiful room at Christie’s with A/C, hot water, TV and a great WiFi connection. I spend most of the days inside trying not to spend any money. The job in Medan is what I’m holding out for and I was told I would hear an answer a week from last Tuesday. If I do get the job I have to decide if I want to wait till the end of August to start. It is a tough decision because I really want the job but going that much longer with out a salary isn’t the best idea.
If I do decide to wait it out I’ll probably stick around Ban Phe longer and rent out this guest house for a month along with a motorbike for a discounted price. The interview itself didn’t go really well last week so I’m not expecting much with that job.
Could be worse places to wait around for employment
That leaves Jakarta, my eternal safety net of a job as my probable final destination. This is by no means a consolation prize as Jakarta is sure to be a great city for me. A lot of people don’t like it because it is a crowded mega-city but I can find the good in most places. If this is the plan then instead of flying the expensive $200 route from Bangkok to Jakarta, I’ll instead take a train south through the Malay peninsula to Singapore and then do a short hop on to Jakarta for much cheaper.
Either way, by Tuesday my future should be clear. Either I’m going to live in Medan or Jakarta for at least the next 12 months.
After spending the entire month of April in Ban Phe staring across the gulf at Ko Samet, I finally took the 45 minute ferry ride to the island. I have been vigorously applying for jobs since getting to Thailand. I even started sending out my resume to schools I don’t really have any intention on working for in locations that are not my top choices just so I can gauge my worth and perhaps take the chance to get an interview under my belt with the intentions of declining any offer.
Just before hopping over to the island I got a job offer for an international school in Khon Kaen which is a small city in the North East of Thailand in a province called Isan. Isan is the poorest area of Thailand and has always been a possibility as a landing spot for me. It’s often less Thai and starts blending into Lao and Cambodian culture the further north east you get. It is interesting to me and the job offer itself is pretty sweet. It’s only for about 3 months till October but the pay is good for the location. The best part is that they want me teach more than just English. I would get experience teaching mathematics, science and arts to students around 9 years old. This would be really valuable experience.
Drinking a coffee shake on the beach in Ko Samet
However, once I arrived to the island I got a reply back from my top choice school in Medan. They like my resume and want to hear more through a phone interview. I’m kind of in limbo right now. I don’t really want to be far from a fast WiFi connection and phone lines so I have stayed in Ko Samet town away from the beaches. It’s OK because I’m spending less money by not going out and eating at a fancy resort. I’m hoping that by Monday I have the interview and a possible offer so that I can make my final decision. If Medan wants me, I take it. If they don’t want me I will go to Khon Kaen and do 3 months in Thailand.
For now though I’m just going to hang around Ko Samet town and maybe hit one of the beaches tomorrow. It would be nice if the school would give me an exact time they will call me so that I can go off and play but it’s worth it to wait around. The school in Thailand has laid out the offer officially so if I want it, it’s mine.
These are very good predicaments to be in. There was a time where I thought the only job I’d ever be able to get was in a cubicle with a headset. This is exciting! Time to get beat up with a Thai massage.